Biologist - Freshwater
Location: Negotiable (Oban, Portree or Lochcarron)
Salary: £29,000 - £ 35,000
Why work with us?
- £150 million turnover
- 500 + staff (continually growing)
- We sell to over 26 countries around the world
- We are an internationally recognised pioneer in Aquaculture
- We have won many awards for training and developing staff
- Sustainability is at the core of all our activities
The Scottish Salmon Company produces Scotland’s Finest Sea Loch Fresh Salmon with Pride and Passion. With our head office in Scotland’s capital, Edinburgh, we breed, rear and process superior salmon exclusively in the pristine waters of the Scottish Western Highlands and Islands. Our customers appreciate our product quality, service excellence and provenance guarantee. We are also the proud recipients of multiple industry awards recognizing our commitment to Scotland, our industry and staff. We are always looking for ambitious and motivated individuals to join our passionate team so if you want to test yourself in a challenging workplace, look no further…Due to significant growth within the company we are looking to recruit a Freshwater Biologist as an advocate for the health and welfare of our salmon stock, providing expertise to the business in all aspects of aquaculture, from understanding and optimizing the fish health and welfare in hatcheries and freshwater loch farms to supporting the communication process with local and industry stakeholders. Freshwater focussed but working within Biology team, mutual support for all aspects of the team’s work including seawater and cleanerfish health.
- Manage health surveillance and audits of sites within area of responsibility, including:
- Routine and enhanced sampling
- Biosecurity & Welfare auditing
- Maintenance of site Veterinary Health Plan (VHP) paperwork and implementation of plan
- Trial work into improved health & welfare
- Develop and deliver training courses to site staff, and assess learning. Monitor and mentor staff where required, in disease recognition, parasite ID and RAS specific risks where appropriate, as well as routine daily/weekly health screening
- Produce pre-transfer reports and risk assessments where appropriate. Ensure appropriate handover of health and welfare responsibility to seawater biologists
- Biology degree or Veterinary Medicine Degree.
- Budget management experience
- Confident and approachable, able to communicate at all levels of the business from the hatchery to the board room.
- A coach who is proactive and encourages others to succeed
- Analytical approach, experience of working in a specialist biologist or veterinary role. Freshwater salmonid and/or RAS experience preferred.
In return we offer:
- Competitive salary package
- Market leading pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Retail discount scheme
- Employee assistance program
- Relocation support
How to apply:
Please email your CV and Covering letter to Nicola Miller at:
Closing date: Monday 15thJuly 2019